[GUIDE] Criminal Appeals & Information

Department of Justice

[GUIDE] Criminal Appeals & Information

Postby Department of Justice » November 12th, 2016, 7:38 pm

SAN ANDREAS DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
CRIMINAL APPEALS
OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY

DIVISION OF CRIMINAL APPEALS

The prosecutor’s role in the criminal justice system is to vigorously and ethically prosecute those who violate the law and to protect the innocent. To that end, prosecutors have a duty to seek the truth before, during, and after conviction.

Under the Prosecutorial and Accountability Act of 2016, citizens may challenge criminal charges after they have been arrested by law enforcement. The Division of Criminal Appeals was established to examine post-arrest review requests where credible and verifiable evidence exists to suggest that a person is innocent or was wrongfully charged.

The Division of Criminal Appeals will investigate claims of innocence in collaboration with criminal justice partners such as law enforcement agencies and may grant, if successful, partial or complete exoneration of charges.

PROCESS

STEP ONE: Fill out and mail the following form to the Criminal Appeals Division.

STEP TWO: The Criminal Appeals Division will contact the arresting agency and conduct an investigation into the arrest in conjunction with the arresting agency's own.

STEP THREE: The Criminal Appeals Division will report their findings of the investigation to the arresting agency and recommend necessary charges are dropped.

STEP FOUR: If necessary, the Criminal Appeals Division will utilize the Office of the Attorney General to ensure necessary charges are dropped.

RESTRICTIONS

Citizens must comply to the following restrictions when appealing through the Office of the District Attorney's Criminal Appeals Division:

Complainants may not appeal infractions;

Complaints must not be filed more than thirty-one days since the charges have been filed;

Complainant agrees to cooperate with the investigation to the best of their ability, disclosing relevant information and exculpatory evidence.

APPEAL FORM

[+] ATTACHED FORM

Code: Select all

[divbox=white][aligntable=left,0,0,75,0,0,transparent][img]http://i.imgur.com/iiQvxXE.png[/img][/aligntable]
[aligntable=right,0,0,0,0,0,transparent][size=120][b]OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY[/b][/size]
CRIMINAL APPEALS DIVISION
[size=120]CRIMINAL APPEAL[/size]

[size=85][b]REF:[/b] A-XX-YY[/size]
[size=65]OFFICE USE ONLY[/size][/aligntable]
[hr][/hr]
[i]Please fill out the following form to the best of your ability. Please attach all evidence to the bottom of the form. Failure to provide proper evidence, documentation and other information will result in your appeal being dismissed. Do not file an internal affairs report until the investigation has been completed.[/i]

[hr][/hr]
[size=120]COMPLAINANT INFORMATION:[/size]

[b]NAME:[/b]
[b]DATE OF BIRTH:[/b]
[b]PLACE OF RESIDENCE:[/b]
[b]EMAIL ADDRESS:[/b]

[b]INVALID CHARGES:[/b]
[b]EXPLANATION OF INNOCENCE:[/b]

[hr][/hr]
[size=120]ARRESTING AGENCY INFORMATION:[/size]

[b]ARRESTING AGENCY:[/b] LOS SANTOS POLICE DEPARTMENT / SAN ANDREAS SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT
[b]ARRESTING OFFICER:[/b]
[b]ASSISTING OFFICER(S):[/b]

[b]EXPLANATION OF WRONGDOING:[/b]

[hr][/hr]
[size=120]EVIDENCE AND SUMMARY OF INCIDENT:[/size]
[size=85][i]PLEASE ATTACH ALL EVIDENCE BELOW:[/i][/size]

[b]SUMMARY OF INCIDENT:[/b]
[list]SUMMARY HERE[/list]

[b]EVIDENCE:[/b]
[list][*]LIST EVIDENCE HERE
[*][/list]
[hr][/hr]
[i]I certify the information I provided on and in connection with this form is true. I also understand that any false statements or deliberate omissions of evidence are in violation of PC (4)07. I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.[/i]

[u][b]Date:[/b] MM/DD/YYYY
[b]Signature:[/b] [i]SIGNATURE HERE[/i]
[b]Name:[/b] PRINT NAME[/u][/divbox]

CONTACT INFORMATION

OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY
Calhoun Federal Building
950 East Market Street
Los Santos, SA 94244

DAVID NADEAU
DISTRICT ATTORNEY
[email protected]

Return to “Criminal Appeals / Report a Crime”